Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blessed Sunday!

I like to do a "long" run on Sunday. During the summer, that means five miles. Even in the morning, it is 80 plus degrees and 80 plus humidity. If you run, you know those are tough conditions.

So, on Sunday, I set the alarm for 5:35 A.M.. It's brutal. Ridiculous. Bizarre. It's SUNDAY! But, I do it because on weekdays, I feel the need to be home between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. for Chris. He's 17, but I want him to feel like we are there for him. Time enough to do for myself when he goes off to college next year. I could go after he leaves, but by 7 a.m., the dog desperately wants his walk. Although I see runners out, It's too warm for me at that point.

Today, the alarm goes off at 5:35 a.m.. I was awake as the dear cat yowled and purrupped until I let him onto the porch about 5. The bathroom light shines directly into the master bedroom, so I have everything set up in my closet. Last week I ran six miles, so this week I'm totally stoked to do seven. This means I have to glide up (it's a special running lubricant, in a deodarant like stick form). When I run more than five, friction under my arms and other wobbly areas - I'm 48, for goodness sake! - can rapidly lead to skin burns. Prep takes about seven minutes, then I let the dog out ("Do it! Do it!"), feed the cat, queue up the IPOD, and I'm out the door at 5:47!

5:49: Smattering of raindrops. Analyze sky. See clear patches, cloud patches. Must be one of those 'rainy' clouds that drifts by occasionally. No big deal.

5:55: I am nearly a mile out. Begins to rain. Begins to rain heavily. Begins torrential downpour. Hide under an oak tree.

5:56: Getting soaked under tree. Decide to turn back.

5:57: Shoes soaked. Stupid rain, these are expensive running shoes! Clothes soaked. IPOD tucked in water belt, hopefully dry. Watch is waterproof. Cannot see, blinking so much to keep water out of eyes.

6: Think I see a van that might be ours. Did Barry get up to rescue me? It drives by before I can figure it out. I turn into our neighborhood. A man is outside, in the dark, barefoot, smoking a cigarette, walking down the middle of the road. I freak out and begin to sprint.

6:03: Home. Barry not home. Van gone. It WAS Barry in the van! My hero - or attempted hero! Water is pooling in my shoes. Barry comes home, but had trouble seeing in the dark and rain. He earns extra spouse points and wins next three arguments by default.

Blessed Sunday! Stay warm, dry and at peace with Christ!:)

No comments: