Friday, January 28, 2011

Chicken!

One of Christopher's friends came to school with a story about his neighbor's chicken.

I won't elaborate, since the story involves carnage and clandestine activity.

What I find interesting is the number of people in a very suburban area who keep farm animals.

Where I live, the lots range from smaller than 1/4 acre (Stucco McMansions crowded onto a single original lot) to an average 1/2 acre to larger old Florida homes with "estate" property. Still, all of these homes are in neighborhoods - Miami's suburban sprawl. It's just house after house. Unlike Chicago, the "neighborhoods" in South Miami-Dade county don't have downtowns. The commercial district stretches along U.S. 1, and, on either side, after the stores, are home upon home. A few miles out is the "Redlands" where there are many farms and much of the Florida produce the nation enjoys is grown.

In the homes around mine, in ordinary backyards, people keep a variety of animals.

The aforementioned chickens are not unusual. While on one of my longer runs, I have heard or seen chickens clucking and pecking in several front yards. They don't seem to be kept in big enough numbers for Sunday dinner treats, so I'm assuming it's fresh eggs the owners are after. Maybe I'm unaware of the companionship and affection offered by a group (flock? clutch? coop?) of chickens.

A house in the next neighborhood section has a tall privacy fence, but there is no mistaking the "Nehhhhh" of goats. Milk? Cheese? Meat? The goats' playful and engaging nature? Who knows!

In December, 2009, I went on a tour of some lovely Coral Gables/Pinecrest homes. Two of the homes had bee hives! I have since seen newspaper notices of bee-keeping classes. Our yard is adequate, but not terribly big. I'm interested in the bees, but even if I tucked the hive in a corner, I ABSOLUTELY guarantee my dog would knock it over and get viciously stung within 48 hours of construction and habitation.

I can't leave out the sweater-wearing pig I taking his owner on a placid walk. I'm SURE the pig was for companionship, not bacon, but in a pinch, like a bad hurricane...that's a pet investment that could pay off.

No comments: