Friday, February 25, 2011

It seemed reasonable at the time....

SO...

I was pulling out of the gas station (where I had waited 10 minutes for a pump)(the gas was a 'reasonable' 3.24, causing quite the queue)...

The pumps are lined up perpendicular to the road. One enters on the right, passes pump after pump, then exits on the left, through the same access point.

The access "in" and "out" lanes are divided by hatched yellow markings.

Perhaps I was a tad testy from the wait and the cost of a tank of, apparently, pure gold...

I was in the left hand exit lane, WITH my turn signal on.

On reflection, that probably was what confused my fellow driver.

As I wait for the traffic light, a car pulls into the yellow hatched area next to me.

The two gentlemen appeared to be cheerful - they were tapping and nodding to the strong bass beat in the 'music' blaring out their open windows.

I rolled down my window and said "Hi! I'm in the left hand lane with my turn signal on - what are you guys doing?" (I may have been affecting an British accent - substitute "What are you good men about this fine morning?" if you like that version).

The passenger on my side jovially slaps the arm of the driver, who glances at me and says "Sorry". I think some other words followed sorry. I'm not sure. Something about a batch of something. I suddenly realized I should be declared clinically insane and rolled up my window to avoid further self-incrimination.

The light changed and, with the delightful enthusiasm of youth, the man slammed the car into gear and sped off, tires screeching.

What a pleasure it was when we BOTH pulled into the adjacent shopping center.

In a serendipitious coincident, I had JUST been thinking about parking farther from stores in order to get more exercise. This new plan of action allowed me to avoid running into my new friends.

I have been driving two hours too long in Miami.

I beep, for goodness sake - all the time.

The light changes: beep, beep, beep.

HELP!

It's time to get on the bike - for the environment, for the economy, and for the good of South Florida humankind.

No comments: