Sunday, July 22, 2012

Michigan Mayhem

I put mayhem in the title simply to grab your attention.

After a visit with my mom (Barry changed the mower's oil and blade, so I christened the machine by giving the back lawn a fine shaving), Barry and I drove to Benton Harbor late Saturday.

Early Sunday morning, we headed to Jean Klock park, the site of the start/finish/transition of the Steelhead Half Ironman August 19, 2012. We have come to realize our preparation for each increasingly difficult event falls short of the necessary. Today we are beginning to correct our lackadaisical approach by riding the 56 mile bike route.

At this point, it might be helpful for you to know I have not ridden more than 39 miles.

Ever.

Experts caution to increase workouts by no more than 10%/week.

Hmmm...10% of 39 is 3.9. 43 miles. NOT 56. 56 is 17 miles more than 39.

50%

Also, there's the small matter of my two-day-ago bike crash (see previous blog).

BUT, I'm in Michigan, and I'm determined.

I also have two packets of biofreeze in my jersey.

I will use both.

Not on crash injuries.

On my sitting glutes.

Ow, ow, ow-de-ow!

SERIOUSLY.

Have you watched the Tour de France? Those people ride ENDLESSLY. The Wall Street Journal featured some huge bike event across Iowa - 80 miles/day, 500 miles or so?

How do they do it?? They must have butts of steel.

I cannot emphasize this enough:

OW, OW, OW-DE-OW!

Aside from my suffering bottom, the ride was lovely. The shore is beautiful - sand and endless lake. The park has outside showers and facilities, tables, beach, shelter. GORGEOUS.

We biked on one main road, with glimpses of the lake and pretty homes - a little busy, but a very wide shoulder.

The other roads wound through the countryside by blueberry fields, vineyards, and farmhouses. We were serenaded by rural Michigan sounds - roosters, tractors, cows, gunshots...

Yes, I pedaled faster...

But not as fast as when a dog charged and made a chomping grab for my leg.

I need that to be a repetitive part of race motivation.

bark snarl bark...pedal pedal pedal...

I was pleased with my effort, except for three terrible hills in the second half when I was reduced to eight struggling miles per hour. The wind destroyed the fun of the downhills, but one cannot go on a bike ride without wind, warmth, and rough road, so all good.

I have to work hard the next three weeks, or I won't be able to run the half marathon after that ride.

But for now...ah...icing my knees and enjoying a glass of vino we picked up on the way home.

I love Michigan!




No comments: