Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dairy dreamin'....

Took Christopher, my baby boy, to the dentist Tuesday.

The baby is 19, home for 12 days from Georgia Tech.

The baby did pretty well in summer school - Spanish: A, Physics 2: A, Computer Science....: A.

MMMMMommma pride.

While he was getting his teeth cleaned, I decided to treat myself.

The dentist is only a mile from our previous home - eight years, seeing the girls through junior high and high school and Chris K-8.

Great years. Amazing family years.

A highlight of the great life we enjoyed was a family bike trip (and many just friends trips and treats) to the local Dairy Dream.

Privately owned, just off the bike path, picnic table perfect ice cream stand.

I drove over and eagerly popped up to the counter, ordering my plain Jane favorite: Chocolate cone dipped in Dark Chocolate.

Yum.

Yet.

I'm not often terribly maudlin about the Empty Nest. But today, sitting in the car, watching two families bike up, park, and then chatter and share their treats, I wanted nothing more than to weep and throw my cone away.

Oh my.

I miss those days. If you have your kids at home, go for a bike ride, enjoy the laughter, and snapshot the memory for your mind. Enjoy. Laugh. Love.

The empty nest is ok. I'm working at filling it. But sometimes it is just...empty.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Ann,

You made me want to cry. I'm running over to tennis camp to pick up Matthew and I want to (embarass him) and give him a big hug. I have to take him to karate afterwards and I was kind of dreading sitting through another karate class. Now, I'm going to be happy just to spend time with him. Susan