Thursday, August 23, 2012

Steelhead 70.3 2012 race report, Part II

Lake Michigan is shallower this year, due to the drought.

Caught up in race start fever, I leap along the waves...leap...leap...leap...sand bar...leap...finally the water is over two feet deep and I dive in to swim and...

Ah, ah, choke, can't breathe, can't breathe.

I have nicely spiked my middle-aged heart rate.

This also happened to me in my first race.

My husband was plagued by this several times.

Rationally, I am well prepared for this.

I should now remember
a) what is happening
b) how to deal with it.

Instead, I flounder and scream inside my head, "What's wrong? Why can't I swim? Why can't I catch my breath?"

Silly old mom athlete.

I DO switch to breast stroke around the turn buoy and then flip on my back (comforted by other back swimmers at this same juncture).

Calmer, I start over. I have lost ground to the faster age-groupers whom I hoped to draft off a little.

Dang.

Ten minutes later, faster swimmers of the next waves overtake me. It is not horrible - I occasionally need to stop, breast stroke, clear my space and start again.

By the half way point (buoys were yellow first half, orange second, nice), I was strong and focused on my stroke technique and went MUCH faster.

I was disappointed in my swim time (my watch said 51 min from water enter to exit, official time 52, so maybe they included the 100 meter beach stumble to transition?). This WAS an improvement, but not as big as I thought based on my practices. I plan a lot more open water practice before IM Florida; we will see if that helps. BEST MOMENT: in the second half, often I get tired or frustrated and think negative thoughts. This time I thought, "I feel amazing!"

Out of the water, stumbled around a bit, then jogged down beach chute. I see Mom and she blows me a kiss, "I love you Ann! I'm proud of you!" First time I've had a spectator at any running/triathlon event. Joy!

The bikes were lined up in only two double-sided rows - 1500 entrants - and I was ALL THE WAY at the end. Glass half full - shorter jog on the bike shoe clip.

I manage to change the shorts without being Disqualified for public nudity, but it was a close thing.

I am warm, no shivers, so skip through my safari supplies opting only for my bike jersey, socks and shoes. Lubricant - CHECK! A GU energy gel and water and I'm on my way (nine minutes later, laugh if you must).

The bike is my weak event. I have long ridden a commuter bike, but it was late August, 2011 when I started on my road bike with clip-in pedals. This race I'm riding a Tri-bike. I have been practicing in the aero position, but see Midwestern Again for an example of how well THAT went.

I am anxious and that's never good.

The younger age groupers are speeding up from behind. Seriously flying.

And that's not good.

The course winds around and under Route 63 so triathletes get on the road without having to stop the traffic. I take this cautiously, annoying those who do not care how narrow or windy this route is - they want to GO GO GO.

The route is lovely - through fruit and berry fields.

I'm glad Barry and I came three weeks ago, because...

I did not see any of it.

Between managing my own bike, handling snafus (only one terrible mistake in shifting for a hill that nearly unseated me on correction), trying to drink from the bottle in my aero bars (do NOT hassle me about my difficulty!), and the the Speedy McSpeedies who for the most part were courteous and encouraging, but were still speeding speedily and WAY TOO CLOSE to me for comfort - I was mentally freaking.

Fatigue wears down all emotions, and for the second half of the ride I stayed mostly in the aero position and improved my speed.

BEST MOMENT: three weeks ago, I thought the hills were hard. This time, I kept wondering where the overwhelming, big hills were. If you are a newbie, the "rolling hills" description is a little misleading. There are several challenging hills - work on strength,practice on local hills, and down shift. All my passes were on the hills. People make it too hard for themselves.

Eventually, I was exchanging places with the same bikers. They would catch me on the flats, I would pass them on the hills. One man was a relay biker. He probably could kick my wazoo, but was struggling because he was massively overdressed. Leggings, gloves, jacket, camelpak. Bicycling.com has a "what to wear" tool. I found it handy in my final choices.

Because of my freak, I did not refill my water bottle. Frankly, I was afraid I would mow down the volunteer line. I came into the race well-hydrated, but that was a risky choice. I need to practice the grab, fill, and toss.

Bike took 3:30.

The end of the course was single lane on an asphalt walking path, sidewalk and boardwalk. Careful, careful, careful - dismount - BLISS!

Shaky and relieved, I had survived the bike. BONUS - I had not taken out any other athlete. SUCCESS.

Click to read Part III

Click to read Part I

No comments: