Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Steelhead 70.3 Race Report 2012, Part I

If you are an experienced triathlete, this entry is NOT for you.

I mean, feel free, but I am NOT an experienced triathlete, unless one loosely defines "experienced" as having done, oh, let's say...one sprint and three olympic length events.

Ah, the other clue: I do not call them races.

When I read race reports, frequently the authors scoff at those who walked up steep hills on the run course.

I and my pals walk up those hills with pride.

We are finishers.

Hear us roar...with a few whimpers and whines thrown in purely as audio accents.

I am a 50 year old woman who is having the best time ever as a Finisher of these fun and fabulous events.

Last Saturday, 8/18/2012, I traveled with my husband and mother to Benton Harbor Michigan to participate in our first Half Ironman - part of my training for Ironman Florida in November.

The Half Ironman is 1.2 mile swim, 56 miles on the bike, 13.1 mile run.

I have been following the Don Fink Ironfit book training plan, sticking mostly to the "Competitive" level, not because I think I'll be competitive, but because I want to do all I can to make sure I'll successfully finish IM Florida.

I have also joined a local triathlon coaching group. Because of their activities, I am a stronger swimmer and cyclist than I hoped.

SO, arriving at the Steelhead registration, I was not as anxious as at the shorter triathlons of past year.

The volunteers were amazing, from the boy scout parking police to the registration tents and bike area monitors. It went smoothly and quickly. The athlete meeting was succinct and informational.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which is near I-94. The hotel put out early-bird fruit and food at 4:30 a.m. for the participants. We brought our own dinner (I am always afraid of setting off my GI upset with "foreign" food). Each room had a microwave and fridge, so no problem. For a fee, the hotel allowed triathletes to keep room until 4 p.m. Since we had NO idea how long we would take (my goal was under 8 hours)(if you are choking and sputtering right now, please close this window!), we didn't take this option. The race transitions areas and finish line are in Jean Klock park, and the park has two outdoor, public shower areas, so a post-race rinse is possible.

I am a Catholic Christian, so we attended a nice Mass at St. Bernard's Church - 5 p.m. Perfect. The music was very cool - I think one musician was playing a zither! We ate about 3 p.m., and light snack later.

Early to bed, along with most of the hotel guests.

3:30 a.m. - rise and shine!

I've been burping up my usual pre-marathon meal during the swim, so switched to rice cakes with peanut butter and honey and an FRS energy drink.

I ate a banana in the car. I am feeling stuffed. Blech. No more food.

We dropped off our bikes the night before, so took the shuttle from the parking lot to race central.

Nerves nerves nerves.

Set up Momma under a shade tree scouted yesterday afternoon: chair, cooler, book. Oriented her to the general set up for swim return, bike in and out, finish line.

Into bike transition to lay out clothes.

I've gotten a little far without mentioning the outstanding weather.

OUTSTANDING.

At 5 a.m., it's 55 degrees, little wind, clear skies. The water is 67 degrees and calm. It should get up to the mid-70's.

I was worried about being cold on the bike, so my transition pile is a little crazy. I see veterans' stacks: socks and shoes. I have:
  • A regular size towel which I will use to hide my bottom half while I change from swim shorts into my padded bike pants. I get too sore on the bike to wear my thin-chamoised tri-shorts.

  • Saddle lubricant for my precious parts.

  • Glide (a protective solid lubricant) for other moving areas.

  • Bike shirt.

  • Sleeveless running shirt which I plan to wear as a base layer if I am cold.

  • Compression calf sleeves.

  • Arm warmers.

  • Socks

  • Shoes

  • Water bottle and small towel to get sand off my feet.

  • Small bottle of alcohol to get water out of my ears (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

    In SECOND pile:

  • Running shoes

  • Fresh socks

  • Mole skin strips for feet sore areas.
Safari or Triathlon, you decide. Back with Momma and my husband, we wait to begin the trek down the beach. The Steelhead starts the swim either a mile north or south of the finish depending on the current. On this day, we walked South. Used the porta-potty for last time - have huge panic attack inside. The usual voices, "WHY ARE YOU HERE?""THIS IS CRAZY!" But I step out, see my Mom and husband, and calm down. I sit next to them for a few minutes and pray. A feeling of protection and peace surrounds me, and I am ready to go. We say goodbye and Barry and I start the walk down the dark shoreline. I am drinking an FRS energy drink, Barry opts for nothing. The sun is rising, pink and golds. The air is cool, but not cold. We arrive at the swim start about 6:40 a.m., and get in the water to warm up. Lake Michigan feels great - warmer than standing on the beach. The announcer calls our waves in to the beach, as we start immediately after pros. We sing the Star Spangled Banner. The sun is up, just behind the American flag. I am chatting with the other 50 and up women, and I feel...great. At 7:05, we are on the edge of the beach, waiting for the starting gun, and I realize I am not scared or anxious or defeated - just eager and excited. Fabulous. Bang! And off we go... Click To read Part II Click to read Part III

No comments: