Friday, September 10, 2010

La Cucaracha!

I think I've mentioned before that my best Miami friend, Patty, has been in Seattle, WA for a stem cell transplant.

After 4 1/2 long months, Patty and her husband Brant are coming home! Praise God!

While they've been gone, Chris (my 17 year old son) watched the house and Pepper the cat. Chris went over each day for an hour or more, sometimes spending the night. The object was making sure Pepper didn't go cat crazy without human companionship. I checked on the house and watered the plants once a week or so.

I had noticed a few Palmetto Bugs (Florida Giant Cockroaches clearly affected by a government covered-up nuclear event) in late July, but Brant came home and sprayed, so I thought all was well.

Today, Chris drove straight from school to a friend's house, then to the big rivalry football game (Jesuits v. Marists - who would God root for?). I went over to spend time with Pepper. While I was there, I noticed a few dead Palmetto bugs. Maria, Patty's friend who picks up the mail, came over with a broom. She had seen several bugs yesterday.

We chatted as we swept. Maria was puzzled - there was a lot of cockroach doo-doo in the bathroom, but no roaches. Earlier, Brant informed her that the roach problem was a result of the showers not being used, and to run the taps. Maria turned on the taps in the tainted bathroom and...

AIIIIIIIIII! EWWWWWW!!!!! EEEEEEEKKKKK!...

20 (MILLION) Palmetto Bugs came POURING out of the drain.

The horror!

I KNOW I will have nightmares tonight.

I ran into the garage and found bug spray. Several bugs seemed to sense trouble coming, so started climbing the shower walls to hang from the ceiling. YUUUCCCKKKKKK. Maria opened the shower door and I sprayed poison with maniacal fervor.

DIE, DIE, DIE you bugs of disgustingness!

Maria is a woman of great courage and a strong stomach. After the bugs finished convulsing, she scooped them up with her broom and gave them a dignified burial in the garbage can.

I contributed by squealing, "GET THEM OUT! GET THEM OUT!"

When I finished wiping the remains from the shower basin, I pointed at the large roach still clinging above. We mutually decided to give him a chance to make a run for it. I carried Pepper into the bath and said, "ATTACK!" leaving her perched on the bathroom sink, twitching her tail and licking her lips.

I won't worry if Pepper's food stays untouched tonight.

Is it okay if I end with one last, "BLLECCHHH!!!!!"?

No comments: