Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rain, rain, rain

Google Miami - go ahead, I dare you!

OK, it probably isn't dare-worthy.

You will pull up multiple, beautiful images of sunny skies, blue-green water, boaters, and babes (of both sexes...there's something for everyone!).

I will not deny that winter in Miami is a paradise. PARADISE. Blue skies, mild temperatures, balmy breezes. Since we've been gone from Chicago, their winters have been nasty, and ours have been lovely. Well, there was a lot of complaining last winter about the extended "cold" (we had the heat on for a week! Horrors!) - and it did cause significant plant damage as well us some concussions related to dropping iguanas.

"Dropping iguanas??" you ask.

"Why, yes!" I reply. Iguanas are not native to Florida. When it gets cold, they sort of instantly hibernate, and fall out of the trees.

As all responsible pet owners know, if you can't take care of your pet and it seems warm enough outside for them to survive, by all means, let them go into the wild. I'm sure it's the course most recommended by PETA and the Humane Society - NOT.

This is why an alligator was recently caught in the Chicago river, why iguanas plummet from trees during cold spells in Florida, and why 150,000 Burmese pythons are destroying the everglades. We've nearly destroyed one of nature's most abundant habitats (Want to cry? Do some research about initial experiences of the Everglades - bird flocks that blocked the sky, the Florida Panther, abundant wildlife - then compare to today). This is why six feral cats are relaxing in my neighbor's driveway right now. I've been trying to get a picture for you, but whenever I approach, they scatter - which is odd, because when Aiden and I walk by, they stay in their weird I'm-cleaning-my-privates-with-my-tongue poses and stare him down.

hmm...that last tangent has confused me - oh, yeah, Miami weather. In the summer, it is hot. HOT, HOT, HOT. It is also rainy. Sometimes, it rains and rains and rains and rains. It has been raining, and raining, and raining for the past week. I'm a little crazy with it (ha! like I'm not crazy the rest of the time. It feels good to have an alternate excuse to hormones). We have had to lower our pool water twice and it is currently lapping at the top. SOOOO...if you are thinking of visiting Florida in the summer, be prepared! BRING AN UMBRELLA! But leave your iguana at home...

No comments: