Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I had a dream!

I dream a lot, so normally I wouldn't post a dream report. Sharing dreams is tricky business. What seems so amusing and amazing to the dreamer doesn't translate well to others over the breakfast table. I woke up chuckling, so today I'm giving it a shot!

I lbelieve my dream was brought on by my friend's move back to Chicago. Congrats on getting the house you wanted, Nancy! I had checked into realtor.com to see the house, then spent a little time (ummm...an hour? Yikes!) cruising other listings.

In the dream, we were house-hunting. On entering the house, I see avocado walls, wallpaper, decorations...even the baseboard is painted avocado. I think, "Ann, you said you'd be willing to renovate. Keep an open mind!"

The house does turn out to have good bones. Soaring ceilings, beams (oddly reminiscent of the Tiki Singing Bird hut in Disney World), a big, if extraordinarily dated kitchen. Avocado, avocado, avocado. This could work....

And then Mr. Sandman twists the dial to weird, weirder, weirdest!

I open the door to the downstairs bath, and there is a man in one of those sort of square, handicap access deep tubs. The shower is raised behind the tub. The only way to the shower is through the tub. He proudly tells me this was a recent renovation.

I haven't found a toilet or bedroom, so I tell the realtor I want to go upstairs. At the top of the stairs are a large set of mirrored doors. "Oh!" I exclaim. "Storage!" Opening the doors, I find a large room with a few chairs along the walls, and a huge expanse of floor. The lights come up and IT'S A SKATING RINK!

Tub Man speaks from behind me. "How do you like it?!

Amazingly, I missed the SNACK BAR and skate rental desk to my left. Tub Man is working behind the counter.

"Is the rink open for business?"

"I only keep it open part time now that I've retired." Tub Man flips on the switches for the nacho cheese heater and popcorn machine. "But it's a town tradition, and important to all of us." He emphasizes the last words, giving us a pointed look. Apparently, purchasing the house means inheriting the rink.

Further down the hallway I find a dentist office and barbershop...what the????

The beep-beep-beep of the front door opening and closing wakes me up. It's 5:50 a.m. I have to laugh. I've seen some strange things when house-hunting, but nothing to compare to my Dream House!

No comments: