Friday, August 27, 2010

5:15, 5:25, 5:55

5:15: I wake up when Chris deactivates the alarm. Beep, beep beepedee beep. We've been using the alarm regularly since a friend's house was broken into a few weeks ago. As I roll over, pulling my pillow around my ears, I grudgingly admire Chris' dedication arising so early on a school day to run. He is doing the Donald Half Marathon with us in January and is training. I sleepily think, "maybe I should get up and run, too." I'm not only running the Donald Half, but the Mickey full the following day.

No, I do not know why I am doing this.

Yes, I do.

Barry did it last year and he got THREE shiny medals embossed with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy (it's called the Goofy challenge).

No, I have never run a marathon before.

Considering this, I really should get up and run.

Nope. Mentally chant: "Relax. Fall asleep. Fall asleep." Failure - must empty bladder. Trip to bathroom excites dog and cat. Cat begins to yowl. Let cat out on porch. Back in bed..."fall asleep, fall asleep, fall...."

5:25: Key in lock, rattle, rattle, rattle, turn, turn. Since door was unlocked, Barry, returning from his business trip, locked it, then unlocked it. Dog goes berserk, crying, whining, wiggling in paroxysms of ecstasy. His daddy is home. I give up. Might as well run. Barry is annoyingly perky after grabbing what must have been uncomfortable sleep on his flight home from Brazil. After giving me a hug (all signs appear to indicate he is quite happy to see me, ahem), he is out the door for his run. I follow, a bit more slowly. I'm stiff, so spend my first mile trotting like an old lady, then pick it up for the next two.

5:55: I'm praying there's a nap with my name on it today.

No comments: