Monday, August 30, 2010

Shout outs

Shout out to...

Nancy, my Miami friend and co-leader (co-member! - we never did have a membership drive) of the Kraft Wives Club. Nancy is returning to the North. We had some great times exploring Miami. Our first trip was to Little Havana. I was expecting bustling streets with Cuban music, colorful characters, and sidewalk cafes. Maybe a couple of women strolling around with Carmen Miranda-esque costumes and headpieces. Not so much. But, we went to Frommer's "have Cuban coffee here" cafe, and I had a cup. I don't drink coffee, but since the small cup had about 1/8 coffee, 3/8 milk, and 4/8 SUGAR, I found it spectacularly enjoyable. The post-sugar/caffeine crash was intense, but worth it. At other times, we visited Fairchild Gardens, Deering Estate, and Vizcaya, along with the usual Mall lunches and shopping. Miss you!

Father David Zirilli, who is leaving St. Louis Parish to become Director of Vocations for the Archdiocese of Miami. Father David came to St. Louis as a new priest, 2.5 years ago. He is an amazing, dedicated young man. I can see why he was chosen to speak for Vocations - I remember one homily when he spoke about the call to the priesthood, and he said he knew seven or eight young men in the congregation right then would make great priests. My son looked at me, shrugged, and said, "Maybe...maybe". Hmmm!

Patty, my friend who received a stem cell transplant in May. She is scheduled to return to Miami in September! I miss our walks and chats! If you aren't aware, a stem cell transplant is a rigorous and difficult procedure, with the same risks as any organ transplant. Sign up as a donor - it is like donating blood - a little longer procedure, but no more complicated.

I'm off to Sam's Club and the grocery. Got a cookbook out of the library 'cause I am BORED with what we are eating. This is always dangerous and somewhat expensive, because I end up buying things like "chinese chili paste" and "fish sauce" and a LOT of cilantro. What did we do before the world discovered cilantro? I swear its in EVERY recipe on Top Chef!

No comments: